- Our Blog
Take the time to learn how to care for your solid wood furniture and it will last for generations. Our hand carved mahogany furniture is created by expert craftsmen, so you only need to do basic maintenance to keep it looking beautiful.
Basic Care for Wood Furniture
There are some basic precautions you can take to care for your hand carved mahogany furniture. It only takes a small effort to make sure your furniture lasts for a long time:
- Keep handmade wooden furniture away from heaters, radiators and avoid exposure to prolonged periods of strong sunlight. Heat and sunlight can dry out wood furniture.
- Use felt-bottomed wood coasters to protect solid wood furniture from water rings. Metal and paper coasters can cause condensation.
- Don’t put hot objects directly on hand carved mahogany furniture. Heat can damage the finish. Use a tablecloth, serving plate, coasters or placemats when serving hot foods or beverages.
Best Ways to Clean Wood Furniture
Regular cleanings keep your handmade wooden furniture looking beautiful and help protect it, too. Laurel Crown furniture is protected with at least three coats of finish, making maintenance easy to do:
- To clean your handmade wooden furniture, wipe gently over the surface of the wood once a week using a dry cloth.
- For stains and spills, wipe in the direction of the wood grain using a slightly damp cloth.
- Laurel Crown advises against using commercial lemon oil to clean your hand carved mahogany furniture. Lemon oil provides a nice shine, but most products contain kerosene, which can harm the wood’s finish.
- Aerosol furniture cleaning sprays are better than lemon oil and won’t harm the finish of your wood furniture. But if the product is silicone-based, you may not be able to have your furniture refinished in the future.
Protect Your Wood Furniture
Protect your wood furniture and it will last for several lifetimes. Some tips on what cleaning products to use, when to use furniture wax and information about touch-ups:
- For extra protection and a natural shine, use a high quality wood furniture wax. Laurel Crown recommends using Liberon, Black Bison, Goddard's, Butcher's Wax, Antiquax, and Renaissance Wax to preserve your hand carved mahogany furniture. Avoid using cheap furniture waxes on handmade wooden furniture. Residue from a cheap furniture wax can attract dust and small particles.
- For the best results, dust handmade wooden furniture with a damp cloth and then apply furniture wax using a piece of cloth or very fine grade steel wool. Reapply wax every six months to protect solid wood furniture.
- Nicks and scratches may appear on handmade wooden furniture over time. Laurel Crown suggests using touch up markers to fix worn areas. Use a color slightly lighter than the wood finish and apply until the scratch blends in with the rest of the wood.
If you need any help with caring for your Laurel Crown furniture, please call or email us for assistance.
While solid wood furniture is a great to have in your home, it is also unfortunately a natural target for small insects and pests. Insects are used to finding tons of wood outdoors, so it should come as no surprise that when they find it in your home they’ll make a home of it. So how [...]