- Our Blog
Our custom wood furniture is hand designed by woodworkers specially trained to create antique reproductions. High quality materials used to hand-make and finish furniture make it distinctive. And, our exclusive line of upholstered living room furniture offers plenty of options for customization, too.
Antique Reproduction Furniture Built with the Finest Materials Available
We create antique reproduction furniture using the best quality materials for strength, durability and attention to historic detail. Unlike mass-produced living room and dining room furniture, we don’t rely on veneers, MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), poly resin (plastic) or automated finishing.
Handcrafted wood furniture has many unique design details:
- Handcrafted wood furniture is hand carved of solid mahogany wood, unless otherwise noted on the website;
- Every piece of our handmade mahogany furniture has a beautiful, natural wood grain that you won’t find on mass produced furniture or furniture made using hardwood veneers;
- The traditional tongue and groove construction consisting of mortise and tenon joints used for all of our custom wood chairs is vastly superior to the cheap dowels used by other manufacturers of handcrafted wood furniture;
- We use only dove-tail construction for drawers instead of the cheap butt joint and nails methods used by other bedroom furniture companies;
- Our custom wood furniture is made sturdier and more durable with the use of tongue and grove and butterfly joint construction on all of our tables tops.
Handmade Mahogany Furniture Individually Crafted by Skilled Woodworkers
Handmade mahogany furniture can only be called “handmade” when it’s constructed by woodworkers instead of machines. The skilled craftspeople at Laurel Crown have dedicated themselves to producing heirloom quality living room, dining room and bedroom furniture.
Hand carved details like fine sanding and finishing each piece individually gives our furniture its distinctive appearance:
- Three stages of sanding- Rough sanding, medium sanding and fine sanding, all done by hand;
- Using wood filler to conceal any pores;
- Stain is brushed onto handcrafted wood furniture to enhance the wood grain;
- Clear satin finishing coat sprayed three times or more, with a fine sanding in between coats, gives handmade mahogany furniture a smooth finish and protection from water.
Upholstered Living Room Furniture Offers an Array of Design Alternatives
Customize your new furnishings when you buy pieces from our upholstered living room furniture collection. For your safety, all of our cushion foams are fire retardant and pass all BHFTI (California Bureau of Home Furnishings and Thermal Insulation) flammability standards.
We use two types of upholstering for our living room and dining room furniture:
- Upholstered Chippendale style chairs have slip seat cushions that easily pop out for cleaning or for updating and changing the fabric;
- Coil spring cushions, featured on most Victorian chairs and sofas, have a springy comfort and double-corded edging. The spring is attached to webbing and covered in a layer of foam underneath the fabric, to make your upholstered bedroom, living room and dining room furniture comfortable and durable.