Why Mahogany Antique Reproductions are the Perfect Gift
In today’s changing times, sustainability has been a crucial concern for many of us. Antique reproduction furniture for your home is ultimately the most sustainable. There are no plastic moldings or connections nor pressed wood in vintage reproductions. When it comes to our antique reproduction creations, we use joinery that has been proven over centuries to be exceptionally strong and outlast mass-manufactured furniture. This means your vintage reproductions last longer, do not end up in a landfill, and having to be replaced every few years, as well as being so well done as to be heirloom quality.
If you have ever wondered what the perfect gift might be for a wedding, for a brand new homeowner’s house warming, or just to say you care to your loved ones then mahogany reproduction furniture makes the perfect gift. We’ll share all the reasons why.
Characteristics of Mahogany
Mahogany’s pleasing, straight and fine grade of wood and nearly free of defects or knots have made it one of the most prized woods to work with for hundreds of years. Genuine Honduras mahogany, which is what we always use, is a sustainable and eco-friendly harvested mahogany from farms certified for authenticity and environmental consciousness.
As mahogany ages, the color of the wood gradually changes. It becomes a deeper, darker color, with hints of its pinkish hues turning redder and its brown hue darkening as well. As well as its color-changing properties as it ages, mahogany wood has another unique element: chatoyancy. Chatoyancy is commonly known as a cat’s eye effect, a familiar term in gemology found in certain gemstones. Layers of crystal refract light in a particular way, creating a 3D effect inside a mineral that evokes the reflectivity of a cat’s eye. Mahogany's grain can often give off this same 3D illusion when exposed to light, with the grain seemingly curling back on itself in waves, making this eye-catching pattern under the surface. In woodworking, it is also often referred to as, “flame,” “ribbon,” or “tiger stripe.”
Why Vintage Reproduction Furniture Makes the Perfect Gift
- A home should tell the story of those who live within it. A piece of furniture that is exceptionally well made can be passed down through the generations, each generation holding a memory of a story that involves that piece of furniture. As the wood wears and a fine patina grows, dents or scratches or watermarks, or the refinishing of such things simply adds more character—and furniture with character is what makes a house truly a sanctuary.
- Antique reproduction furniture made by a master craftsman, hand-sanded, and hand-finished with expertise and meticulous attention to what stain and sealant to use gives reproduction furniture a patina and depth of color you simply cannot recreate with brand new modern wood. Mahogany’s rich, reddish-brown towns are an instant warming color that can fit into any grey rooms or rooms that look a little cool in certain lights.
- Your mahogany reproduction furniture gift will guarantee that what you are giving is 100% authentically unique. Each piece created here at Laurel Crown, for instance, is completely handmade. That means that each mahogany piece never is the same, as each artisan that completes a piece brings his or her interpretation and artistic talents to create sophisticated reproductions with care to the original craftsmanship. No two are alike, so the gift you are graciously giving will be something extremely special.
- One of the most important factors that make mahogany antique reproduction a worthy gift for anyone is its almost legendary stability. Mahogany is a very strong, rugged wood yet easily workable by carpenters and artisans to create stunning details, motifs, and delicate, ornate carvings.
- Mahogany reproduction furniture is extremely rot-resistant. While Cypress, Cedar, and White Oak are mildly to moderately rot-resistant, mahogany is named the “King of Hardwood” for a very good reason. Mahogany is a very dense and hardwood that keeps insects and water on its exterior, preventing rot that both of these can cause. Gifting someone a piece of vintage reproduction furniture made of this wood ensures that no matter if they live in a more humid climate, or a dryer one, issues that humidity and insects may cause with other types of wood will not be an issue with their mahogany furniture.
- Antique reproduction furniture created from mahogany wood is timeless. It is always classic and never goes out of style. While certain furniture trends may come and go, antiques and reproductions faithfully crafted in the same ways have always remained on-trend and in style. They are exceptionally versatile and can be placed in virtually any type or style of home to this day, blending with many modern, contemporary, minimalist, and even avant-garde décor. Mahogany vintage reproductions lend an air of elegance, a taste of sophistication, as well as a measure of warmth, life as well as depth to any room, and they last a lifetime.
Online businesses come and go, but our customers trust our 26 years of experience building fine furniture to deliver on our promises. Read our story and our customer reviews to see why people love Laurel Crown.
Quality is our Priority.
We don't take shortcuts. We like to do things the old-fashioned way and that includes the way we make our furniture. Fine hardwoods, solid joinery techniques, hand-tied upholstery—just a few ways we build our furniture to last through wear and tear over the years.
Yes, We Customize.
Don't see what you want? We'll work with you to design and build the perfect custom furniture for your individual home. Just want to change the upholstery or wood color? We do that too, just give us a call. We love doing custom projects for our customers!
100% Money-Back Guarantee.
We understand buying furniture online can be daunting so we offer a 100% money-back guarantee and no restocking fees on all orders except when customized or shipped internationally. We offer a satisfaction guarantee because we stand by the quality of our workmanship. And not only do we believe in our products, we use them too!