Timeless Allure of Rustic Interiors
Do you long for or love the idea of elk antlers over a roaring granite fireplace? Are remote mountain log cabins and provincial farmhouses inspire your interior dreams? The allure and mystique of rustic design have inspired and continue to inspire many home interiors over the years, remaining a timeless and beloved choice for many.
Whether it is American Rustic, Tuscan, Coastal, or Modern—it is a trend that strives to celebrate the imperfect and nature merged. Today, we'd love to explore this remarkable interior trend and the continuing allure of rustic design.
What is Rustic Design?
Rustic design merges ruggedness and natural beauty, creating a relaxing atmosphere by highlighting organics such as wood, stone, leaf, and nature motifs. Perfection in rustic interiors is set aside, allowing the character of each piece within the home to stand out from knots and grain within the wood to a touch of rust on metal. The rustic design celebrates overall character.
Some of the main characteristics of Rustic interior design can include:
- Wood grains and earthy browns, neutral beiges, or warm shades of white
- Muted accent colors such as tans and soft blues, greens, reds, yellows, and stone greys
- Imperfect shapes and silhouettes
- Fixture finishes such as iron, pewter, copper, or brass
- Décor and art styles may feature animal hides and fur (genuine or faux), antlers, throws, pillows, rugs with simple motifs and patterns, folk art, and folk art antiques.
What Are The Most Common Rustic Interior Design Trends?
The term rustic interior design is more of a category that incorporates a worldwide range of variations on the style. Some of the most common trends for rustic include Tuscan, coastal, cottage, and modern rustic. However, there is also:
- American Rustic
American Rustic is relaxed, more of the moment, and highly individualistic. American Rustic can feature logs, twigs, burls, and bark and is rooted in the beloved Arts & Crafts movement of the late 19th Century, a natural response to the rapid increase of industrialization. Characterized by humble materials and straightforward construction techniques, its appeal is timeless. Many décor items feature books, art, handmade furniture, and quirky collectibles ranging from old canoes and vintage paintings to old snowshoes with colors introduced through textiles or aging signs.
Tuscan rustic hallmarks come with a sun-baked look characterized by crumbling stone patios, simple and hardy furnishings with elegant iron accents, terra-cotta tiles, textured wall finishes, and elegant, detailed murals. Colors usually lean heavily on earthy, while rough plaster walls often soar high up to reveal beamed ceilings, and décor can consist of painted ceramics and tiles to bring a splash of color and variety.
Coastal Rustic captures the dream home beside the ocean with a nautical feel brought into the house. Distressed wood and beach wood, linens that may resemble a boat's sail, tropical woods, or bamboo can be used to evoke this interior style. Coastal rustic leans into neutral colors with hints of oceanic blues with greenery that evokes coastal grasses or tropical islands. Of course, one of the essential parts of this interior style is incorporating lots of glass décor, from clear to sea glass.
Modern rustic combines sophisticated, sleek new designs with less refined elements, making this a wildly popular style as it is approachable and inviting—open spaces with lots of natural light, no heavy drapery, incorporated stone, and weathered wood. Items like shelving or slate may often showcase an unfinished edge. Wood panels or wood flooring with distressed details and reclaimed timber, such as barn-style doors, add charm and warmth to modern spaces.
Antiques and Reproductions for a Rustic Interior Design
French Provincial melds simplistic elegance with rustic charm effortlessly with inviting, pale warmth in brown, green, grey-green, or pastel lilac colors. With distressed painted textures on furniture and brass or iron fixtures, it is easy to capture the idea of rustic interior design with French Provincial antiques or antique reproductions. What sort of French Provincial Antiques or replications would create a rustic ambiance?
- Consider a French Country dining table for a perfectly rustic dining room or kitchen. With cabriole legs for gorgeous visual grace and choices for paint or distressed paint for that well-loved, well-lived rustic look, this piece makes for a striking dining central point for intimate family dinners or guests. Consider pairing the table with French Country dining chairs and a breathtaking French Country Hutch.
- Console or Hallway tables for your front entryway, behind a loveseat, or wherever you desire! There are a few options for getting that French provincial rustic look. You can add a console table with an unfinished wood top and iron legs painted to look distressed or a gorgeous painted console table with delicate legs and simple ornamentation.
- Matching flower arrangements: Bundles of beautifully dried lavender, real or faux, placed in old metal pitchers or repurposed antique milk jars for a floral touch.
- For a DIY aspect: should you have wood furniture you love but want to change it up into something French Provincial and rustic: consider learning how to remove finishes and stains and how to paint and distress. Change fixtures such as drawer handles, kitchen cabinet knobs and pulls, bathroom cabinet knobs, bedroom dressers, and so on to iron, brass, or bronze.
- White-washed clay pots or pastel glazed ceramics for decoration, kitchen storage, mantle décor, and flower arrangement vases are a perfect burst of color for any rustic room or home.
- Candles and rustic sconces can add an attractive, nostalgic light to frame a rustic space perfectly. Even twinkling string lights, innovative no-flame candles, old hanging farmhouse lights, and more—remember to use or pair them with warm white lights and light bulbs to avoid washing out the space.
Rustic interior design holds such a unique, natural beauty that endears itself to many, year after year. With repurposed wood, antiques, or reproductions, DIY accents, neutral colors, natural materials, and pops of beautiful color, this is an exquisite home design and style for those who adore a cozy, comfortable space that is a never-ending get-a-way for the senses.
Online businesses come and go, but our customers trust our 26 years of experience building fine furniture to deliver on our promises. Read our story and our customer reviews to see why people love Laurel Crown.
Quality is our Priority.
We don't take shortcuts. We like to do things the old-fashioned way and that includes the way we make our furniture. Fine hardwoods, solid joinery techniques, hand-tied upholstery—just a few ways we build our furniture to last through wear and tear over the years.
Yes, We Customize.
Don't see what you want? We'll work with you to design and build the perfect custom furniture for your individual home. Just want to change the upholstery or wood color? We do that too, just give us a call. We love doing custom projects for our customers!
100% Money-Back Guarantee.
We understand buying furniture online can be daunting so we offer a 100% money-back guarantee and no restocking fees on all orders except when customized or shipped internationally. We offer a satisfaction guarantee because we stand by the quality of our workmanship. And not only do we believe in our products, we use them too!